Did you accidentally fall for one of those “spend a free weekend in Mexico” deals? I mean, who can blame you? Warm ocean water and sunny weather year-round make the salesperson’s job reasonably simple.
But brace yourself if you feel pressured into signing up for a Mexican Timeshare. And are now wondering how to get out of a timeshare in Mexico. You may be in for an unpleasant surprise.
It typically takes a few months after purchase if you still need to receive your paperwork. For those of you that have your paperwork, take a deep breath. The reality is it’s common to see higher fees than the ones you were told at the presentation. Our team always warns owners not to fall for any verbal promises for this reason. Always get everything in writing! If it sounds “too good to be true,” most likely, it’s because it is.
There are several options for getting out of a timeshare in Mexico. Here’s how you can go about it:
- If you are in your rescission period, read your agreement and contact the resort.
- Send a formal cancellation letter to the resort.
- See how Mexico’s timeshare rules may work in your favour and take advantage of them.
- It’s a long shot, but marketing your timeshare on eBay or Craigslist could help.
- Use the Escrow option to protect yourself against scammers.
- Hire a lawyer to help you get out of your timeshare.
- Choose a professional timeshare exit service provider to get out of the contract.
The good news is not all timeshare companies are evil. There are quite a few legitimate timeshare exit companies that exist. However, we can’t close our eyes and pretend scams don’t exist either. Don’t worry. If you’ve recently purchased a foreign timeshare, we got your back! So stop frantically searching the internet for a way out.
The good news is, you’re in luck! Our team has written an in-depth review of different Mexico Timeshare scams and helpful tips on how to get out of a timeshare in Mexico. So don’t go on wondering if you could have acted sooner. Let this be the year you finally decided to regain control of your life. Fill out the form on the right or initiate a Live Chat with us to help you find the right solution for your timeshare situation.
Cancel a Timeshare Contract in Mexico
- If you haven’t read through your contract, we suggest you do so immediately. The way to cancel a timeshare contract in Mexico is typically mentioned in your agreement. Check the terms of your purchase.
- Usually, your rescission period is located here, whether it be the beginning or the end of your contract.
- Using your rescission period to cancel is the smartest and most cost-effective way to cancel a timeshare contract in Mexico. Depending on your location, an average rescission period can last 3-10 days.
- In Mexico, however, there is a 5 business day grace period to rescind your timeshare contract.
- Our team suggests contacting the timeshare developer first and mentioning that you want out immediately. When contacting the company, be careful of any stalling or unwilling behaviour from its staff.
- The company will typically ask for a written document stating what you want from your contract. We recommend you submit this with overnight mail shipping.
Any documents not arriving within the rescission period will automatically disqualify you from rescinding your timeshare contract. We understand sending in overnight mail can be pricey, but those extra dollars can save you thousands!
Mexico Timeshare Laws
- When cancelling your timeshare in Mexico, you must first understand how Mexico’s timeshare laws work. Timeshares in Mexico are generally beachfront condos and hotels with a life span of 3 to 100 years.
- Like American timeshares, yearly and monthly maintenance fees are required, with the potential to increase every year. Our team believes you should always take the time to understand your monthly and yearly expenses.
- Regarding cancelling any timeshare in Mexico, our team believes every owner should be familiar with Profeco Article 56 Federal Consumer Protection Law. Article 56 protects all consumers from fraud, not just Mexican citizens.
- The law does require a mailed-in or hand-delivered written letter detailing the situation and how you were a victim of fraud or high-pressure sales tactics.
- Nevertheless, it is your best option if you miss your rescission period. This law intends to protect consumers’ rights and promote fairness, assurance, and legal certainty in relations between the supplier and consumer.
When you are submitting your letter, be sure to address Profeco Article 56 Consumer Protection Law. It’ll make things clear for the resort to understand your request and prioritize your case. Also, be sure to include important details such as your name, dates, contact information, and your purchase date. The more information you have will help facilitate your request. And be sure to follow up with the resort if they require additional information or documents on your end.
How to Legally Cancel a Timeshare Contract in Mexico
Searching how to cancel a timeshare contract in Mexico legally?
- Our team believes the most legitimate way to cancel a timeshare is through a reputable exit company that uses timeshare attorneys. What’s better than one brain trying to solve a problem? Two brains! That’s right. Imagine an entire team of experts and attorneys working on cancelling your timeshare.
- In this situation, the attorney must search your contract for any loopholes or misrepresentations. An exit company can find it difficult to get you out of a timeshare in Mexico.
- There are judicial restrictions in place that can complicate the process. But that’s where timeshare attorneys come in handy. There is a loophole around this issue.
- Suppose your timeshare in Mexico has offices or even an accounting department on US soil. In that case, this will give the exit company the green light to pursue legal action.
- How can I cancel a timeshare contract in Mexico legally? Well, stop wondering and take action! The timeshare industry is full of scams, including exit scams. This only increases an owner’s risk of encountering one. But there are legitimate exit companies that can back up what they claim. And we can help you find the right one!
- Our team always suggests working with an experienced exit company that knows the ins and outs of the industry. We only recommend exit companies with no up-front fees and an escrow payment option.
- This helps you stay protected during the cancellation process. Read over our website and contact us through live chat. Or fill out the form on the right so we can connect you with a legitimate exit company. We’ll help you find a company that legally can cancel a timeshare contract in Mexico.
Hiring a Timeshare Exit Attorney
If the above-mentioned steps work in your favour and the weight of the timeshare grows by the day, you can call a Mexican timeshare attorney.
- These attorneys are really professionals; they understand Mexican legislation and make the procedure easier and less stressful.
- They may assist you in gathering evidence if you were duped into purchasing a timeshare; this raises the likelihood of your case being resolved promptly.
- They may contact the resort and assist you with cancelling your timeshare as soon as possible.
- They will clear up any confusion and protect your rights during the cancellation process.
- It’s well-known that Mexican timeshare regulations may be difficult to grasp, especially for foreigners. But don’t worry; these seasoned attorneys are well-versed in it! They will clear up any confusion and ensure that your rights are protected during the cancellation process.
If you’re serious about reducing that burden, consult a Mexican attorney who is an expert on timeshare regulations. They’ll be there for you, backing your decisions and ending the timeshare problem.
In conclusion, there are better investments than timeshares. Sales reps always use incentives such as “more family time” or “great real estate investment.” But these are all common lies. So if you want to cancel a timeshare contract in Mexico, do it fast!
Timeshares can be financially and mentally draining. Ridiculously high maintenance fees and limited booking dates will make your timeshare feel more like a burden. And increased stress and fatigue levels from a “vacation club” are not worth it. Just hearing “timeshare” will only leave a sour taste in your mouth. Did we mention all the phone calls you’re now going to receive? Full of salespeople pressuring you to upgrade for more money?
If you’re reading this and are considering buying a timeshare in Mexico, we suggest you get as far away from this industry as possible. For the timeshare owners who are reading, do not stress too much! As we explained earlier, you have multiple options for exiting.
Every year it seems there is a new timeshare scam reported. Get in touch with our team so that we may help you find a reputable timeshare exit company. Our review site aims to help you closely examine how timeshare exit companies operate. We only recommend reputable timeshare exit companies with no up-front fees and an escrow option. Read over our website and fill out the form on the right, or contact us through Live Chat for a free informational consultation. Learn how you can protect yourself from a timeshare exit scam!